Showing posts from July, 2017

Q&A : How can I earn money by divorcing a drug addicted Indian NRI husband? Can I file 498a against him to show the power of women?

This was an interesting question that came from an online forum. Our editor's response follows

I see two red flag here
Your intent to “Earn money by divorcing.” Divorce is an ultimate step couple take when they are not able to reconcile matrimonial differences. The process is never easy is can be highly stressful. To even think you are planning to ‘earn money’ by divorcing is despicable. Trying to file a “498a to show power of women” As per wikipedia, “498a is an Indian law in which a husband and his family are summarily arrested without any investigation when a complaint is lodged by the wife or any of her relative claiming that the husband or his relatives treated her cruelly. Once the complaint is lodged the husband and his family are presumed guilty and it is up to them to prove that they are innocent in a court of law. This law has been under much controversy due to its increasing misuse leading to breakdown of families. It does not cost anything to file a 498A, and there i…

Q&A : NRI Guy planning for Divorce

Here is a recent query that came from a visitor to NRIDivorce


I am an NRI living in US for more than 10 years. My wife went back to India and filed false dowry and DV cases. I wanted some advice on the same. Can I ask you some questions on email or on the phone? I have a few directed questions and will not take too much time. I have consulted a few lawyers in US and India and my intention is not to save a few dollars by asking you questions an attorney can answer.

Rather I want to benefit from your experience. He went on to add:
Me and my wife stayed in USA for 2 years and then she went back to India and filed false 498a, dowry cases against me and family in India. I am still in the US. She is planning to come back to US and file for no fault/irreconcilable differences divorce in US. I know that if I don’t submit myself to USA divorce proceedings, then it will be ex party and USA ex party divorce is not valid in India. But I will have to submit myself to US divorce proceedings, as …